The Waldviertler Blondvieh origins from Illyrian-Celtic cattle who were crossed with Frankenvieh, Mürztaler and Mariahofer (who are ancestory of the Carinthian Blonde and the Murbodner). Until World War II the main focus was on drafting, followed by beef and milk. In 1933 a breeding association was founded and the breed increased in prosperity. From 1960 on most of the Blondvieh were crossed with Fleckvieh for higher performance. This led to the displacement of the breed. In 1982 23 cows and three bulls were the foundation for the conservation program. The numbers of breeding cattle started to increase and like all the conservation breeds they boosted when substitutes for those breeds were initiated.