The Pinzgauer cattle originate from Celtic and Bayuwaric cattle who were brought with settlers to the regions around the “Hohen Tauern” in Salzburg. Around 1600 a salesman mentioned a deal with 12 “Pintzger bullocks” in his notes. Back then the breed was known under different names such as Pinzgauer, Pongauer or Mölltaler. In Bavaria they were called Traunsteiner and Berchtesgadener. In 1846 the name Pinzgauer was used for the first time for the whole breed. They were shown at the World Shows in Paris in 1856 and in Vienna in 1873. In the late 19th century herdbook registrations and performance recording started. In 1896 the first local breeding organization was founded. In 1921 different local organizations merged to the association for purebred Pinzgauer cattle in Salzburg. 1966 marked a peak in memberships with more than 3000 breeders. To increase the milk yield and udder quality the Pinzgauer were crossed with Red Holstein. Unfortunately pure breeding wasn’t a major goal anymore which led to good purebred cows being crossed with RH-bulls. In 1972 the breeding association opened the herdbook for Fleckvieh and Holstein. In the following years a lot of farmers decided to switch to other breeds due to better marketing possibilities. With a conservation program and substitutes the number of breeding cattle is at a stable level today. Like many of the conservation breeds the Pinzgauer are also popular suckler cows – not only in Austria but also in other European countries and overseas, like South Africa, Australia or New Zealand.
The Jochberger Hummeln are a polled Pinzgauer strain. The first polled calf was born in 1834 in Aurach. In this Tyrolean region they became popular at the time, but for drafting the use of a head yoke was necessary, so the popularity sank. Only a breeder named Filzer kept them. The manor name of the farm was “Hallerwirt”; therefore polled bulls get the prefix HALLER. Polled bulls (both from Austria and also imported semen and bulls) are frequently used in the suckler cow herds.